- Washington State's first federally-recognized appellation; includes more than 60 wineries.
- Contains 16,042 vineyard acres (6,492 hectares), over one third of Washington's vineyards.
- Most widely planted grape is Chardonnay, followed by Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- Riesling and Syrah represent significant acreage, with Syrah in particular on the rise.
- Silt-loam soils predominate allowing proper drainage necessary to keep vine's vigor under control.
- 190 day growing season with annual precipitation of approximately 8 inches (20 cm).